Litigation Legal Assistant
Cairncross & Hempelmann (“CH&”) is a full-service law firm in Seattle that advises our diverse client base in business, land use, real estate, litigation, and bankruptcy & creditors’ rights. Our hallmark culture hinges upon respect, collegiality, and genuine care which extends to all CH& employees, as well as to our clients and their teams.
We are looking for a Litigation Legal Assistant with at least 5 years of relevant experience to join our sophisticated Litigation Group. The ideal candidate will have a solid understanding of legal administrative concepts and processes; the ability to support multiple attorneys with competing work assignments and manage a variety of tasks with composure; clear and professional communication with colleagues and clients; excellent organizational abilities; superb proofreading and editing skills with exceptional attention to detail; and a proven level of proficiency with Microsoft Office 365/2016 and 3E or other timekeeping software, as well as the ability to be adaptable and resourceful.
Main duties of this position include:
- Anticipating and meeting the needs of attorneys
- Accurately create, type, proofread, format and/or revise correspondence, memoranda, agreements, pleadings and other legal and business documents from notes, templates, or drafts, under time-sensitive deadlines.
- Check in regularly and proactively with attorneys to ensure all aspects of matters are under control.
- Perform general research as needed, including reviewing, investigating and applying court rules in various jurisdictions.
- Organize documents, information packets, presentations, and/or exhibits, as needed.
- Open new matters, including following conflict-checking protocol.
- Maintain attorney and client files, in both paper and electronic formats, including email and electronic files.
- Open and route mail, attaching appropriate files and documents when necessary.
- Familiarity with applicable court rules and filing procedures; perform electronic filing.
- Enter, review, and/or revise attorney time in 3E on a daily basis.
- Assist with client billing, including reviewing and editing pre-bills.
- Assist with trial preparation.
- Coordinate depositions and schedule court reporter.
- Manage document productions on network drive and electronic files, using Bates numbering.
- Create Motion and Trial Binders.
- Arrange for and monitor process service.
- Work closely with paralegals to maintain structured and comprehensive file indexes and case files.
Our firm is committed to racial equality and social justice and upholds the CH& Racial Equality & Social Justice Plan that invites all attorneys and staff to engage, take action, and continue to broaden diversity and awareness in our communities. The CH& Diversity Team was started in 2004 and drives the firm’s initiatives and action. For more information, go to Diversity | Cairncross & Hempelmann.
Compensation range: $80,000 – $95,000 annually. Benefits include but not limited to: Medical and Vision insurance, Voluntary Dental insurance, Health Reimbursement Account Plan, Cafeteria Plan, Life / AD&D insurance, Long-term Disability insurance, Whole life with Long-term care rider, Retirement Plan 401(k), Vacation, Sick/Safe Leave, Orca Pass/parking subsidy.
To apply, email cover letter, resume and references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls, please.