We have assembled a leasing team designed specifically to address the needs of landlords and tenants in the retail, office and industrial/warehouse leasing sectors.
The CH& Leasing team is comprised of six real estate attorneys, each bringing unique experiences highlighting their respective practices and benefiting our leasing clients. More importantly, beyond the legal skills that each team member offers, each brings significant or especially relevant hands-on experience, not only in the process of space selection, negotiation, and leasing, but also with subsequent litigation and exit strategies, each team member’s experience makes him or her uniquely suited to the business of leasing.
At the 30,000 foot level, this practice is focused on the sales, development, leasing and operation of commercial entities. Since 1987, we have negotiated hundreds of leases, including millions of square feet of space. The following provides a brief description of the type of services we provide within the CH& Leasing practice. Our retail, office and industrial/warehouse leasing experience includes a broad range of services for both landlords and tenants.
Areas of Emphasis
- Deal point negotiation and letters of intent
- Operating expenses and CAM analysis, strategy and structure
- Exclusives, radius clauses, and co-tenancy
- Percentage rent analysis, strategy and structure
- Purchase options and renewal and expansion rights
- Risk management and insurance provisions
- Due diligence, such as environmental and title matters
- Bankruptcy and termination issues
- Preparation of lease abstracts for operational convenience
- Post-execution matters, such as assignments, subleases, amendments and estoppels
- General landlord/tenant relationship and dispute issues
- Tenant improvement work letters
- Asset management for lenders
- Subordination, nondisturbance and attornment agreements
- Day-to-day landlord/tenant issues
- Built to suit transactions
Attorneys in the Retail, Office & Industrial Leasing group have represented clients in the following transactions:
- Representation of a large, national lender in all aspects of loan restructuring and subsequent unit sales for the region’s largest condominium development project
- Representation of the largest regional hospital network through multiple facets of their expansion efforts including construction contracts for new hospital buildings, sales of surplus properties, and leasing of satellite offices
- Drafted lease documents for over 120,000 square feet of office, industrial and retail space in the past year.
- Acts as outside general counsel for local retail business
- Negotiates licenses and services agreements for numerous clients, including financial institutions, publishers, consumer products companies, manufacturing businesses, and retail and ecommerce companies