Forest products and timber companies have a long history in the Pacific Northwest and are an important component of our firm's Land Use and Environmental Law practice.
The CH& Forest Practices & Products team has extensive experience in a wide variety of issues facing companies in the industry, both in the Pacific Northwest and nationwide. Our broad understanding of the issues the industry faces allows us to provide comprehensive representation to clients in the timber and forest products industry.
Areas of Emphasis
- The Washington State Forest Practices Act and Forest Practices Rules
- The Washington State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA)
- The National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA)
- The Washington State Growth Management Act (GMA)
- The Washington Shoreline Management Act (SMA)
- The Endangered Species Act (ESA)
In addition to advising clients regarding their forest management activities, we also advise clients on a variety of landownership issues, including:
- Inholder access issues across federal lands under WILCA
- Road use and right-of-way agreements with private and federal landowners
- Trail maintenance agreements
- Identifying and managing the entitlement process for “higher and better use” lands
- Acquiring and disposing of real estate holdings, timber deeds, access easements, leasing, financing and conservation easements
- State and federal tax issues affecting timber land owners